10 December 2010

Wolves Fall to Heat, 4-3, In Overtime

Left wing Nigel Dawes. Photo: Steven Christy

ABBOTSFORD, B.C.---The Chicago Wolves scored twice in the third period to send the game into overtime but could not score again as they suffered an eventual 4-3 loss to the Abbotsford Heat at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre Friday night.

Left wing Nigel Dawes (2G) and right wing Spencer Machacek (G, A) notched multiple-points for Chicago (13-15-1-0).

Heat defenseman Keith Seabrook blasted a shot from the high slot past Chicago goaltender Peter Mannino on the power-play 2:41 into overtime to grab the win for the Heat.

Entering the third period trailing, 3-1, the Wolves used a pair of markers from Dawes to tie the game at three.

Dawes’ first goal came when he took the puck off the backboards at the crease and snuck it past Abbotsford netminder Leland Irving to close the gap for Chicago, 3-2, 1:11 into the third period.

Chicago tied the score, 3-3, 13:46 into the last frame when Dawes bagged his second goal of the night firing a shot from the slot past Irving, glove side.

Abbotsford (15-11-0-3) opened scoring 7:08 into the first period when left wing Logan MacMillan drove the puck to the slot and ripped a shot past Mannino, stick side.

The Heat brought the score to 2-0 when defenseman Matt Pelech scored on the breakaway around the back of Mannino 9:57 into the opening period.

The Wolves got on board with a power-play marker to bring the score to 2-1 2:41 into the middle frame. Machacek found the loose puck at the doorstep and put it past Irving.

Irving (14-7-1) recorded 13 saves for the Heat.

Abbotsford responded with a shorthanded goal 5:26 into the second period when right wing Greg Nemisz ripped a shot from the right faceoff circle to make the score 3-1.

Mannino (8-6-0) thwarted 32 shots in the loss.

The Wolves and Heat will square off in a rematch tomorrow night at 9 p.m.

Chicago 0 1 2 0 -- 3
Abbotsford 2 1 0 1 -- 4

First Period---1, Abbotsford, MacMillan 3 (Rheault), 7:08; 2, Abbotsford, Pelech 2 (Keith), 9:57. Penalties---Kulda, Chicago (tripping), 0:31; Siklenka, Chicago (delay of game), 1:41; Hunt, Chicago (interference), 4:20; Pelech, Abbotsford (interference), 7:50; Postma, Chicago (tripping), 11:49; Aliu, Chicago (cross-checking), 15:50.

Second Period---3, Chicago, Machacek 11 (Esposito, Ross), 2:41 pp; 4, Abbotsford, Nemisz 7 (unassisted), 5:26 sh. Penalties---Bouma, Abbotsford (goaltender interference), 1:51; Meyers, Abbotsford (delay of game), 4:36; Meyers, Abbotsford (interference), 10:16.

Third Period---5, Chicago, Dawes 8 (Siklenka), 1:11; 6, Chicago, Dawes 9 (Postma, Machacek), 13:46. Penalties---Cormier, Chicago (fighting), 4:15; Baldwin, Abbotsford (fighting), 4:15; Aliu, Chicago (roughing), 11:59; Stone, Abbotsford (roughing), 11:59; Cormier, Chicago (slashing), 16:31.

Overtime---7, Abbotsford, Seabrook 3 (Brodie, Nemisz), 2:09 pp. Penalties---Hunt, Chicago (hooking), 1:43; Machacek, Chicago (game misconduct), 2:09; Mannino, Chicago (game misconduct), 2:09.

Shots on goal---Chicago: 2-10-4-0--16. Abbotsford: 13-9-12-2--36. Power plays---Chicago: 1-4. Abbotsford: 1-7. Goalies--Chicago, Mannino (32-36). Abbotsford, Irving (13-16). A---4,805. Referee---David Banfield. Linesmen---Chris Carlson and Trevor Boudreau.